Home

Friday 19 August 2016

Meet the Seller - Dorset Team Christmas Fair – Ali Lewis from Dorset Hodgepodge


Name: Ali Lewis
Shop Name: Dorset Hodgepodge
Located in: Weymouth
Sells: Handmade cards, notepads, packaging and gifts

Maker's Story: On a dark and stormy night, lit only by candlelight, I realised I didn't have a birthday card for a friend. So to work I went and produced probably the world's most hideous card. The friend accepted my offer with a smile, and promptly deleted me from their friends list... OK, so actually I can't remember my very first card and this is entirely made up, but the card probably was hideous!

In all seriousness, I've always been able to look at things and see how they are made (craft wise here, I can't look at a car and make one out of odds and sods!), and I began making things and giving them away as gifts. The cries of joy (OK, you caught me in another fabrication, more just a quick thank you) led to people telling me I should really look into selling my things.

So on the dawn of my first craft fair, I was apprehensive... Did I have enough stock? Would people like my things? Would I make any money? Was I asking too many questions???? I did OK, and subsequent craft fairs well and truly confirmed to me that I was not yet cut out for the craft fair game! But my determined streak means I will be trying again this Christmas.

I started selling items in my mum’s post office (and I still do), then through Facebook and now on Etsy. I'm taking it slow, enjoying the ride, I’ve taken breaks to have children, but I am determined that one day my dream of joining the circus will come to fruition... Oh, wait, wrong story!



Dorset Team Christmas Fair: Ali will be selling her cards, notebooks and other papercrafts at the Dorset Team Christmas Fair on Saturday 3rd December at the Allendale Centre in Wimborne.

Please come along and meet Ali and our other makers and sellers.

Doors open at 10am and close at 4pm. Entry is free.

For more information please see our Facebook event page or blog post 

No comments:

Post a Comment